Saturday 23 January 2021

FIRST WINTER FLASH BLOG BATTLE


Let the #winterflashblogbattle commence!

Hosted by Michael R Kiel

The mission?

To create a DRABBLE 

...which is a short story comprising 50 - 100 words.

Enjoy! 

Check out the host's website

Michael R. Kiel Fiction for more details and other interesting stuff, or visit Michael's IG account @michaelrkielfictions

The picture prompt


I block out the dull 'boom' of grenades exploding. Shrapnel is stirring the air as splinters whistle past my head. The world around me is disintegrating. If I just keep my eyes closed. If I don't listen. If...
Lyla thrusts something into my hands. Round, smooth, faintly smelling of winternights. Of apple and cinnamon.
Mulled wine and spice. My eyes fly open. A snowglobe! Dainty and so misplaced in this bloodsoaked world, it steals my breath. I. Can't. Breathe! It sucks the air from my lungs. Slurps me into its diamond skin. Until I am inside. Safe once more... 






For those of you who don't know me.
I am a writer of speculative fiction. Which is essentially an umbrella term for anything non-existent. I love to blend science fiction and fantasy, and because I am a sucker for a good love story, my novels are generously seasoned with elements of romance. But I am not strictly speaking a romance writer.
And I love reading and get pretty much stuck into anything that grips my imagination, no matter the genre.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! A piece of peace in an insane world. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) Yes, I felt like I needed to create something comforting. Thanks for hosting this blog battle event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! The juxtaposition of a snowglobe amidst the violence - it all fit in so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I didn't know where I was going when I first started. But the snow globe seemed a good retreat.

      Delete
  4. This piece is awesome. Good description and filled with emotion. ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much. It's always hard to pack everything into 100 words or less. But I love flashfiction challenges.

      Delete

Featured Post

ANK on "Who are they?"

I suppose most authors get asked the same questions: Where do you get your ideas from? Who are the real-life people who inspire your char...

Most popular