Sunday 20 August 2017

ANK on 'Science in Fiction' or science-fiction?

For me, it's the characters who drive the story - not the setting, not fancy wording and certainly not the fancy science.
Although - I have to admit, I like science! Can't help it - it is an occupational hazard as much as a lifelong passion.
I can't resist a good scientific discovery! It draws me, it sparks my imagination, it occupies my mind.
There is a cornucopia of scientific discoveries begging to be picked up and released into the domain of fiction.
As sci-fi writer I need science - it is my kernel of truth around which I can weave my story and my worlds without completely cutting adrift from reality.
A flimsy tether it is sometimes - I admit that much! No matter how many cycles of 'genetic modification' the initial seed undergoes as the story develops, I will still try to stay linked to reality... somehow... in a loose sense.
'Science - in - Fiction' and sci-fi more often than not overlap. Being involved in both science and fiction, I know how difficult it can be to keep the two apart. As a scientist, I feel obliged, to stay true to the facts, but as a writer, I feel the need allow my imagination to run with it and push the boundaries.
I don't think there is an intrinsic need to keep science and fiction apart. Admittedly, the extend to which the boundaries between science and fiction need to be drawn depends on the scope and purpose of the book.
Personally, I love reading both 'genres': books deeply anchored in science, as well as the classic, imaginative sci-fi reads. 
 I think Science and Fiction are a marriage made in heaven - and like in any relationship, one of them will have the upper hand/ be the dominant partner/ wearing the pants ... it depends on the story, the characters, and on the author, because at the end of the day only you know what works best for your book!

A great source for the 'science in fiction' aficionados is http://www.lablit.com

Have a nice weekend
Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. Scientist. What is genetical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this case, it is a remnant of an earlier version, which read 'genetically modified'. Thanks for pointing out this breach to the English language and scientific terminology alike. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

ANK on "Who are they?"

I suppose most authors get asked the same questions: Where do you get your ideas from? Who are the real-life people who inspire your char...

Most popular