Saturday 18 November 2017

ANK on What genre...?

A headscratcher for me! Well and truly is...
A crucial one as well. Because peddling my books to the wrong people will never earn me satisfied and returning readers.
So I need to get this right.
Easier said than done.
I can, of course, describe what my books are all about on (social) media outlets, but I cannot position them adequately on Amazon (where I list it) because my genre (or even subgenre) isn't acknowledged.
Keywords it is then.
But honestly... who types sophisticated keywords into Amazon search engines? I don't (but perhaps I will start after writing this post - you never know!)

I started to write The Sphere - part of the Sphere-World Series, during #Nanowrimo2016. By now it has developed into a full-blown series.
Honestly, I had no idea it would.

When I started writing it, I took my least developed plot and decided to see if I could actually write 50k words in a month. I never thought I had it in me. But I did! Now - a year later and The Sphere is published in ebook format on #Amazon worldwide.
The second book in the series is called The Odyssey, and I am planning on getting it onto the #KindleScout programme soonish.
I did the same thing with The Sphere, and I enjoyed the process.

Before and during the Kindle Scout campaign, when I read lots of 'how to' and 'what to' and 'what-not-to' articles, I became aware of the importance of stamping a genre onto my book. (There is some great advice out there! Make use of it.)

Gulp... Science Fiction...obviously! Or so I thought. But the novel contains a lot of romantic elements as well, and a bit of dystopian fiction. It also hints at elements of fantasy to come as the Sphere-world series develops.
And yes - there will be a whole lot of fantasy, and science, and sci-fi.
The Sphere is a novel of mixed genres. <ANK on The Sphere>
But most importantly, it is the story of the main characters; the tale of the challenges they have to face, the obstacles they have to overcome, their struggles, their hopes, and dreams, and failures. It is about how they cope with changes, and how they fight to make their dreams come true - no matter the genre!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ANK on "Who are they?"

I suppose most authors get asked the same questions: Where do you get your ideas from? Who are the real-life people who inspire your char...

Most popular