Saturday 11 November 2017

The Sphere published on Amazon

Pfff... I did it!
After a final (very tedious) edit, I now published The Sphere on Amazon US and Amazon UK

There many firsts in this process:

My first book
My first Kindle Scout campaign
My first attempt at self-publishing
My first go at Twitter (believe it or not!)
My first blog
My first grey hair (not really... but it certainly feels like that)
My first revisit of nailbiting after quitting decades ago

I learned a lot along the way, and not everything was easy and straightforward.
Self-doubt: it's all just a big pile of sh**t, suffering imposter syndrome (I am not really an author... am I...?), who will want to read it anyway? The works!
I am sure everybody who has ever attempted to write a book, or even a blog-post or anything will know the intrinsic fear of the P-word (as in Publishing). It means getting your work out into the open, into the public domain, where everybody is allowed to scrutinise and give their opinion. Worse even: by publishing your work, you actively invite criticism. Not something most people are comfortable with. Certainly not me. Because I surely could have done much, much better... no?

And then I start reading book 2 or continue writing on book 3 or even start jotting down ideas for book number 4, and I know, it's not all bad!
I am improving. My style gets better, I am more confident in the way I allow my characters to speak their mind (I stopped trying to sugarcoat their foul language or anglicise their direct approach). I let them do their own thing - I just make sure they do it in the right order and in a manner, that makes sense to the readers.
And realising that, I am actually looking forward to getting The Odyssey (book 2 of the Sphere-World series) onto #KindleScout ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ANK on "Who are they?"

I suppose most authors get asked the same questions: Where do you get your ideas from? Who are the real-life people who inspire your char...

Most popular