Thursday 25 January 2018

ANK on the incredible delight of chocolate digestives with peanut butter

Yup! My eating habits could be called unconventional. I rather like to think of them as adventurous. After all, I almost tried a roasted grasshopper... once...
Today, I fancied a peanut-buttery treat... or two. But I had run out of bread, felt too lazy to go to the shop, and didn't want to eat it straight out of the jar. (I confess - I occasionally do that...)
I sensed a perfect storm starting to brew in the not-available food department.
And then - Saviour! - I spotted a pack of chocolate digestives tantalisingly winking at me from the far side of the kitchen.
My peanut butter-focussed mind (aka the uncontrollable parts of my brain) fired up all its unoccupied synapses and made the connection instantaneously! Yep - I can work pretty fast where edibles are involved. No dithering!
It was a delightful feast: peanut-buttered dark chocolate digestives. Heaven! Bliss!

Change of scenery...
As I happily munched away at my peanut butter-delights, staring at my computer screen and willing at least one of my characters  to give me a clue of where they were heading to, the realisation struck me:
My writing habits are as mix-and-match as my eating habits!
Personal trait? Guess so. I never fancied being boxed up, labelled, and stuck on a shelf. I like to reinvent myself, do new things, try things I never tried before... and then I stick with what works for me.
And that's why I write what I like to read, and I eat what I love the taste of.
Genres? I elaborated on that one a little bit previously.
People? What do people do? What do aliens do? Where do they come from? When it boils down to it, they are all living, feeling beings.

I don't buy into the concept of the ultimate Good or Evil. I work in the Inbetween - where beings are multi-faceted: predominantly good, but circumstances may push them to show their less favourable personality traits.
At the end of the day a good read is not about its genre (aka the label we put onto it) but about the journey; the way the protagonists deal with situations; their determination to survive and succeed. The sheer will of a being pressed to breaking-point. Their endurance, their spirit, their hopes and dreams. It is about the life of the characters - no matter the genre!
Well - I'd never have encountered the delight of a peanut butter digestive if I'd had bread on the shelf!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ANK on "Who are they?"

I suppose most authors get asked the same questions: Where do you get your ideas from? Who are the real-life people who inspire your char...

Most popular